- Children’s teeth are soft until about age 10.
- A tooth with a dental crown can get a cavity.
- Your gum tissue is as critical as your teeth.
- Some prescription medications can increase your risk of dental caries.
- Some home faucet water filters remove fluoride.
- 19 percent of babies between the ages of 2 and 19 have untreated tooth decay.
- Heartburn can be bad for teeth.
- Allergies can cause teeth grinding.
- Dried fruit is just as harmful for teeth as sticky candy.
- Tooth enamel cannot repair itself though dentin and cementum (the substance that surrounds the tooth root) are capable of partial regeneration.
- A Harvard-led team recently used low-powered lasers to activate stem cells and stimulate the growth of teeth in rats and human dental tissue in a lab. http://www.businessinsider.com/laser-stem-cell-tooth-tissue-regeneration-2014-5#ixzz3fzlosJDMTooth
- There are about 300 types of bacteria in your mouth.
- Chewing sugarless gum after meals can help remove food particles on your teeth. You still need to brush, but if you can’t brush immediately after meals, sugarless gum can help keep your teeth clean.
- Cavities often don’t cause pain until they have reached the root and nerve of the tooth. Visit your dentist regularly to prevent cavities or at least to detect them when they are small.
- Bone recession can cause tooth loss even if no decay is present.
We hope you have found today’s post interesting and perhaps even learned something new about your amazing teeth and some of the lesser-known risk factors for decay.
We are accepting new patients at our Las Vegas dental practice. We are devoted to preventative dentistry and lifelong oral health. We help educate our Las Vegas patients about family dentistry, pediatric dentistry and orthodontics. In addition, we offer a full menu of cosmetic dental services. If you are seeking a dentist in the Las Vegas area, we invite you to schedule an appointment to meet our experienced team.
Contact Summer Dental – Kids|Adults|Braces: